Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Final 4

...days of school!

Last night was the Honors Convocation for all of the 3.0+ seniors. I was hoping that I'd get the award for top math student named for one of my all-time favorite teachers, Mr. Fielstra, but instead I was pleasantly surprised to get the top science award. It was really cool because I got to share it with Jack who has an identical science record.

I got home, finished my egg-drop project, and then got some long-awaited sleep.

Last night during my GEW assignment I thought it was interesting how the three verses I was reading all said "Give Thanks" to start and "His love endures forever" to end. The only difference lied in what was in the middle of the verse. The phrases "to the LORD, for he is good," "to the God of gods," and "to the Lord of lords" filled in the gap and explained why the psalm was telling us to give thanks. (Psalm 136:1-3, Bible Gateway)

A lot of times, I find myself giving thanks to God for what He's done in my life, but I think these verses illustrate the importance of giving thanks to God for WHO HE IS. He is good; He is the God of Gods; He is the lord of Lords. I'm going to work on focusing more of my praises on WHO He is rather than just WHAT He has done.

I'd like your feedback on this to see what you guys think, too.

Well, I've got to get to Spanish, so hasta luego.

7 comments:

bartholdy's slave said...

spiritually i know you are correct, that we should praise God for what he is. but analytically, i question. how are we supposed to know how he is if we do not know of anything that he is done. yes, he is great and all powerful, but how has he become as such? i don't know if i am being completely clear, so try this illistrative anicdote. say that i go and i conquer the world. i AM a conquerer, but the only reason i am a conquerer is because i conquered.

i loved watching you and dan get those awards yesterday. it was my favorite part of the night besides the admiral guy from the naval acadamy. sweet.

><> Sarah <> said...

Who God is was established before time. The things that He has done proves who He is. With what Jillian said about the conquerer, just because you accomplished this task doesn't define who you are as a whole. This merely proves that you have the strength and ability to combat against forces, but there are also other gifts that you possess that could help you accomplish something else. Once you do that, you would then be defined my that accomplishment. Throughout history, God makes Himself known by the things that He did and is doing. I think that's why the Bible has so many different names for God- He showed that He is a Wonderful Counselor, Alpha, Omega, etc. The things He does IS who God is. God was powerful and mighty even before He created the world. He continues to show that today. This is really random and I don't know if I helped or hurt my opinion, but I agree that we need to focus on who God is.

bartholdy's slave said...

that is my point, sarah, thank you. that it is hard to focus merely on who He is without focusing at least a little on what he has done. the two are related.

~Laura~ said...

it's true that the only way we know God is by what he is done and how he has revealed himself to us through his word. but if our opinion of whether God is good or not is based only on what he is doing in our lives, then when our lives aren't going how we want them to go we find ourselves having a bad opinion of who God is. We need to praise God just for being God.

bartholdy's slave said...

good point. (this reminds me of another argument.)
what i am trying to impress however, is that is is difficult to sepparte the two entities. he is what he has done and he has done what he is. the two cannot be mutually exclusive, for they are interlaced in their meanings.

you guys are interesting! i like talking about this stuff. do any of you go to Mona? where are you going to college?

><> Sarah <> said...

Thanks Laura, that's kinda what I was saying, but I'm not very good with words.

Jillian-I go to Grand Haven. I'm finishing up my sophomore year, but I'm really looking into colleges right now. I visited Baptist Bible College in PA and Moody Bible Institute in Chicago and a couple other schools. I really like Moody and BBC, though. My cousin and I visited Mona Shores a couple weeks ago during lunch, but I don't remember if I met you or not.

bartholdy's slave said...

probably not. i blend into the woodwork. unfortunatly.