Sunday, August 14, 2005

Of Unity Concerts

...Like a Freak Show, In Your Neighborhood...It's been a very long weekend. On Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, I attended the Unity Music Festival at Heritage Landing. This was the fourth year that I've gone, and it was a pretty good lineup.

I got to see:
tobyMac, downhere, By the Tree, Tears for Juliet, Jars of Clay, Mourning September, Hawk Nelson, Hope for August, Steven Curtis Chapman, and Everyday Sunday. It was well worth the price.

Something I noticed was the abundance of Christian T-shirts. For some reason, when people attend Unity, they feel that they HAVE to wear whatever article of Christian clothing they own. I enjoyed seeing all of the Christian slogans and symbols because most of them are derived from common slogans, just with different words.

I saw a few Diver City shirts that would have come from CSM which is the organization we worked through in Chicago. I saw 2 different shirts that were a rip off of the Survivor logo, but promoting Christian events. I saw a "TOBYMAC IS MY HOME-BOY" shirt. There were countless JQ99 shirts and JQ99 stickers on shirts. I saw a MennoniteIf you don't know what to get me for Christmas... girl in a bonnet, a long denim skirt and an Abercrombie T-shirt. (Very oxymoronical) (<-- cool word, but don't know if it's real) I saw a shirt that said "Jesus is my Savior." Along with all of these, there were the typical shirts that Dave gets for free from the Christian apparel companies such as "Abreadcrumb and Fish."

Apparently, there is an unwritten code that requires that you must wear at least one piece of Christian clothing sometime during the weekend. I guess it's just a way to let the other thousands of Christians coming to hear Christian music that you are a Christian, too. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure that some non-Christians go to Unity, but I think they're going to get the message from some place other than our T-shirts.

In other news, I'm currently trying to decide if I should stick with Spanish and pursue a minor in college, or drop my Spanish course (because it makes my schedule difficult) and take Japanese...
I'd take Greek, but it's closed.

No comments: