Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Life as a Laker

My first day of college was..... interesting.

Chem class went well. I think AP Chem set me up to be a little ahead of where they are now, but I've forgotten some of the old stuff.

I had a humongous break for 4 hours yesterday. I re-signed myself up for Spanish during that time, found out that because there was a brief time while I wasn't a full time student, I have to wait to get my financial aid money I was going to use for books. After that mishap, I found all my other classes, ate lunch at Subway, and watched Seinfeld on my computer while waiting for my Honors Classical World class.

Hnr Classical World is about ancient Greece and Rome, so it should be pretty interesting, but this one professor is too much of a philosophizer. I found out when I got to class (since I hadn't checked out the bookstore yet) that there are 11 books to purchase. Yes, 11, as in 1+10! Many of them are fairly cheap, but the sheer number of books is overwhelming.

After Classical World, I waited another hour and a half for Spanish. There, I found out that they know far more than I do having only taken 3 years of HS Spanish, so I decided to drop it.

Dropping Spanish works out the best for everything. It was the class keeping me at college from 8am - 5:45pm.

Today, I bought a majority of my books, went to Chem, and switched into Econ 100. Hopefully it will be easier than Spanish.

I had to read 60 pages of the most boring book about Greek history. It wasn't all boring, but the author uses uncommon words to sound more intelligent (by strange coincidence, so does that professor), so it took a while to get through.

I have a ton more Chem homework to get done before too much longer, but I need to get myself a graphing calculator. In high school, I always had a way of getting one loaned to me from the school. Grand Valley doesn't do that.

I have had the chance to see a few people I knew in my many adventures these past two days. I passed Paul M. from MSHS on the sidewalk this morning. I've seen at least 5 people that graduated a year before me from MS. I also ran into Betsy at the SMART center this morning. (I'm not joking about the name of the SMART center, it's Science and Math... something). :-)

Right now I feel a little overwhelmed with some of this homework, but I'm sure I'll get used to it soon. Then I may just have time for a social life again..... Sorry, Dallas, but I had to read my Greek book, so I couldn't make our date today..... :-p

2 comments:

><> Sarah <> said...

wow. Sounds like an exhausting start to your college experience. Too bad about the Spanish fiasco. I'm sure this is all for the best though. God won't put you through more than you can bear. I hope the rest of your week goes better and you have time to rest a bit. I'll really be praying for you. Talk to you soon!

Unknown said...

Hi, I really like your presentation with information.


christian apparel