Thursday, August 18, 2005

Moving on...

Yesterday was the very last Bible study that I could attend as a high-schooler. As much as I would like to think that I could end up going to winter retreat by means of tricking the new youth pastor, Dave said it best:

"Leave, grow up, go to the college group, and teach your Sunday school class."

It was a great way to end my high school career. The discussion was very appropriate as it was on a Christian's approach to social issues in the world. We talked about how even though we may believe and know that something is wrong, it is still more effective and Christ-like to change people and not fight for legislation.

This is a great example of what we kind of touched on in the Conversations group later on in the day. We are agents of redemption for God's kingdom. The Holy Spirit should be working in us to bring forth glimpses of God's kingdom. We do this best through the relationships we have with each other and the world. What better way to be representatives of the Kingdom than to show the world how life will be when it is completely restored at the second coming.

Keith and I were discussing how we can truly be redemptive agents in society, and I think we were having a hard time understanding each other because of words being mixed up and definitions not being fully understood. I'd love to continue this conversation either here or on the Conversations blog. How are we to be agents of redemption?

I'm beginning to get more and more excited about this fall. My college classes will be starting on the 29th, I'll hopefully have a job within the next few weeks, and I'll begin leading a small group of Junior High guys on Sunday mornings.

So many of these guys are way more advanced than I ever was at that age, and I'm excited to get into discussions with them and to be an encouragement as they're maturing in their faith.

This weekend I've got my last hurrah (sp?) of the summer. I'll be leaving tomorrow night for the town of Festus, MO to visit my aunt, uncles, cousin, and grandparents. My brother and I are attending a Cardinals game, and we'll probably be going to Six Flags also.

Let me leave you with this memorable moment from Chicago:

"You sound like a girl."
"Well, you look like a girl."
"That's cuz I am a girl!"

"I'm sorry, will you be my friend?"
"N-O!"

"I hate her.... (ten seconds later)..... I still hate her!"

The love-hate relationship of Devin and Victoria....

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I finally made it to your blog Andrew. You are lucky that you don't start classes until the 29th. I am writing this from my dorm room and I start on the 23! Good luck at Grand Valley.

Andrew said...

Likewise to you at Notre Dame, Jack.

How is your roommate? I think it'd be interesting to see how you 2 get along.

><> Sarah <> said...

Dave's words are truly inspiring. I guess the good thing is that you aren't completely leaving. It will be nice to get involved in some other ministry at church. Have fun in Missouri!

keith sandison said...

Andrew, that was not a discussion! We were arguing, Andrew, ARGUING! And we weren't mixing words either! You were just stupid. No just kidding. I kinda forget our conversation at Conversations though. The Church is to redeem society, eh? Dave likes to say that. Hmmm...Christ's body redeemed the His people on the cross, did it not? Is there a picture there?

First, lets define "Redemption" or "to redeem." My American Heritage Dictionary has about six definitions, but they basically can be summed up into two...

#1 To recover ownership of by paying a specified sum.

#2 To set free.

As I see it, Christ does both at the same time. He buys us back with His blood, making us His and setting us free to be His.

A third definition which I left out says "to save from sinfulness." That's all to obvious though.

Redemption is solely Christ's work. And I will stand by that til my death. But Christ does not randomly appear to people and ask for their faith. So, in a sense, His Body does perform a redemptive act when they call upon the world for repentant faith.

Looking forward to your thoughts...when you return to us...at the turn of the tide.

Anonymous said...

"I'll be leaving tomorrow night for the town of Festus, MO to visit my aunt, uncles, cousin, and grandparents."

At first I thought you had typed "Festivus, MO," and it made me think of seinfeld