Friday, June 17, 2005

3 New Quotes

Last night, Ryan, David, and I went to go see Batman Begins (good movie). Two of the quotes struck me as kind of essential to the meaning of the story. While I do not necessarily agree with them, they are still meaningful.

"Why do we fall?
So we can learn to pick ourselves up."

It says a lot about how bad things in life can help us grow and make us stronger, but I think overall it just shows the man's desire to fix things himself and pick himself up. As a Christian, I know I should allow God to pick me back up again when I fall, but it's so hard to surrender and not try to do it on my own.

Batman

"It is not who you are underneath but what you do that counts."

I don't really agree with this, but I think it's because my entire worldview says that life is more about being than doing. I think that being shows true character because you can "do" things that are against your nature, but you can't "be" what you aren't.


So, those two quotes really stood out to me while I was watching the movie.

Adios.







You may be thinking to yourself: "Self, if this post is entitled "3 New Quotes," then why are there only 2?"

Don't worry if you really are thinking that and having a conversation with yourself, there's medicine for that.

Anyway, the third quote came this afternoon. Today is Ryan's birthday, so Laura, Sarah, Steve, and I surprised him and went to lunch with him since he had to work today. Well, Laura bought a bottle of iced tea to drink with her sub and I was glancing over when I saw a slogan on the side of the bottle promoting the tea. It read:


What's in that tea???
"Everything that's good about tea starts with the leaf."

For some reason, that just struck me as funny because it made it seem like Laura was drinking MJ-laced iced tea.

For real this time,
Adios.

7 comments:

~Laura~ said...

there's a lot about me that you don't know... mwuhahaha

~Laura~ said...

oops... i'm laura now... not liadan

Andrew said...

That picture is hilarious.

keith sandison said...

Hey Andrew, you scored the first TD of the game today...strong work!

><> Sarah <> said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
><> Sarah <> said...

I really wonder about that Laura girl sometimes. She's becoming a bad influence on my christian upbringing.

Elaina, Laura and I are going to play a fun game of "Gold Fish" tonight. :) Got to go- it's my turn to draw!

Andrew said...

Who got James?