Monday, July 18, 2005

Yoopers

Yoopers are funny people. For those of you not familiar with the terminology, a yooper is someone that lives in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. They can often be found fishing, hunting, and driving around in their trucks.

My grandparents are yoopers now. They've lived on Neebish Island for quite a few years now, and you can see how they've changed. They commute to many places on four-wheelers. They attend regular euchre tournaments. Going into town is a big ordeal that requires great timing for the ferry schedule.

Yoopers really know each other well. The sense of community on the island is strong. The 55 residents that are there through the winter have a strong connection with each other. They take care of one another's needs. They greet one another. They accept one another...

Hmm....

Sounds like how the church should be. I think the great sense of community comes from the lack of advanced technology. Technology often times gives us more and more excuses to not interact with real, living, breathing people. I think we'd all do better with a little less technology.

I was reminded of the great community formed during the ultimate "no technology" experience: Survivor (not the TV show, but the youth group trip).

After we departed from Neebish island yesterday afternoon, we took a short detour to a patch of land nestled between Hessel and Cedarville. I wanted to see the Rudd's property where I have so many great memories one more time. I was ready to introduce myself to whatever branch of the family was using the cabin that week, but when we pulled into the driveway, the chain going across it was blocking our path. I knew that no one would mind if I just walked around for a short time, so I removed the chain, and we drove down the never-ending driveway. I got out and walked over to Rock Island where I took a couple of pictures. I found the stick that we used (not very effectively) in the slingshot challenge last year. I was flooded with a lot of memories in the short time we stayed there.

I was glad I got the chance to see it one last time. It culminated what I learned or re-realized this weekend: Community is achieved best when technology isn't getting in the way.

So, how do I live that as I sit in my living room typing on a computer with no wires coming out of it, while I listen to my dad talk on the cordless phone, with the TV muted in the background, while my brother plays a computer game?

Tough question...

1 comment:

><> Sarah <> said...

Glad you had a good trip! That's awesome that you had a chance to visit the Rudd's place. We missed you on Sunday for the Chicago presentation. It went very well.

I too come from a Yooper family. My mom spent summers in Da UP at my great-grandparent's house. My great aunt still clings to her yooper ways-she says "ya, eh" and all that yooper lingo. My mom's side is known for making awesome pasties.

The idea of technology and community have come to mind many times. My parents have always said why don't I call someone on the phone or meet with them instead of "this IM business". The media has overtaken our world in so many negative ways. You can see in our society that no one spends quality time with each other any more. It's a sad thing.

Sorry for the long comment. Talk to you later!