Sunday, July 10, 2005

Today Seemed Like a Dream

Today.

Started as a normal Sunday. Got up, showered, dressed, and went to church. Heard that Dave had an "announcement" to make. I was pretty sure I knew what it was, and I did. Dave is going to be changing positions. He will no longer be our Pastor of Student Ministries, but instead our Pastor of Spiritual Formation, whatever that means. The position seems sort of unclear at the moment, but it is still a little ways off before the transfer will happen. At first glance, "Pastor of Spiritual Formation" sounds like a great title for Pastor David. He has left me with the impression that he really has some ideas and goals for our church and the church in general that need to be heard, and this seems like it will put him him the position to voice those and carry them out. In that sense, I am happy because I know that Dave will do a great job with his new role.

I am also nostalgic today. I've thought back on a lot of great memories from these last four years. Thoughts of Fireside Chats, early morning roller-skating, Tribal Counsels, Elephant Jokes, Lessons of Oreos and Therefores, The Anti-Madagascar Society in America, Senior Sneak, Chicago, monster calves, "if who you are, is who you were...", mafia games, 15 passenger vans (with trailers), conversations at Barnes and Noble, team devotions on Survivor, rapping in the van, rocking out to BSB, brainteasers, the Dave Show, Zobmondo, 3 Relationships, and just joking around during down times.

I know I'm all graduated, and this doesn't directly affect me, but I'm concerned mostly for all of my friends that are in high school. I've seen the youth group grow by leaps and bounds during these last four years. Dave is such a good teacher and a good friend to everyone. He teaches at a deep level. He encourages us and builds relationships. I've seen other youth pastors that don't even compare to Dave. I'm afraid that we'll end up with someone that won't help our group grow. I'm afraid of the unknown.

The position Dave is taking is good for the church and it's good for Dave, so I'm incredibly happy for that, don't get me wrong, but I don't know what it will do to the youth group.

If only there were a way to make two Daves...

2 comments:

><> Sarah <> said...

My mom just told me the news. I thought she was kidding at first, but I suppose, like you, I saw it coming. I was hoping this wouldn't happen until I was finished with high school. I'm really bummed. Middle school was fun, but I've learned so much more these past two years in the high school group. I've been already thinking about my last couple of years and how much I'll grow thanks to Dave and the wisdom he brings to the group. What will become of all the traditions that I've experienced and the ones I've yet to encounter? It's a bittersweet feeling. I'm happy that Dave is following God's will and moving on the bigger and better things, but I really wished he could stay a little longer with our group. I could go on forever, so I guess I should end this now. Sorry for the long comment :)

Andrew said...

I agree, very bittersweet.

See you at Lunch Bible Study tomorrow!

Ponderosa on Apple at noon.